Re: [IP] carb counting and fiber

--- On Tue, 5/13/08, Kathy Barbis <email @ redacted> wrote:
> I don't believe in "net carbs". If something
> has 5 grams, I bolus for 5
> grams.
> I always felt like the "net carb" thing was
> something the atkins diet fans
> made up. To me, a carb is a carb and i match my insulin to
> the total carb
> count as that's what I was taught to do by my
> nutritionist.
>
> I am very interested in seeing everyone else's response
> to this though.

 I subtract the fiber if it's a large enough number. One of my usual breakfasts
is a serving of Wheatena plus a handful (20g or so) of wheat bran, plus some
fresh or dried fruit. I end up with 20+ grams of fiber in the bowl. It keeps me
satisfied all morning; keeps me regular; and would knock me unconscious if I
bolused for all that fiber!

 I do sometimes have straight oat bran (cooked) instead of Wheatena, but don't
often add anything else but fruit to it so the fiber count isn't as high. I
think oat bran has a lot of soluble fiber, while the Wheatena/wheat bran is
insoluble.

I like my fiber!
--
Liz