Re: [IP] U-500 Insulin

Dick,

I am using about average136u a day: Carb Ratio  1:4 , Insulin
Sensitivity 1:11 with a standard basal of 3.70u. Pump is a MM 722.
Based on this I should be using 4080u a month. Figuring in a 10% (408u)
loss for Prime and unused in reservoir makes a total of 4488u or 5 Vials
of insulin. I average 2 days on a 300u reservoir and then refill or
change site if it is sore.

I was using Humalog and using more insulin then above, after switching
to Novalog is when I did the above. YMMV but mine decreased by 10%
between the two insulins.

Based on your stated  usage of 7 vial or 7000u a month that equates to
233u a day. Which if you have the 300u reservoir means your refilling
every other day. I understand why your Dr would want to get you into a
more potent Insulin like U-500.

As Felix said though, it is a regular insulin. Which means it is in your
system longer (up to 8 hrs), and takes longer to act on your incoming
Carbs or high BS, which is completely unlike Humalog or Novalog. With
the u-500 you could put yourself into a low state accidentally if you
went with a 20 - 30 u bolus as you currently do.

Good luck

Frank