RE: [IP] U-500 Insulin

--- On Sat, 5/10/08, Dick Hunt <email @ redacted> wrote:

> In relation to Felix's comments, if you are at a ratio
> of 15:1 and will go
> to about 75:1, how will you manage that?  As an example, at
> mealtimes with a
> carb intake of say 60 carbs, even 1 unit of insulin would
> be a challenge to
> bolus.  Also, a snack of say 15-20 carbs would be almost
> impossible.
> I believe my math is correct, or please correct me, if
> I'm wrong - the U-500
> is 5 times more potent, right.

 Why would that be a problem? One of the benefits of pumping is being able to
dose in very small amounts. A meal with 60g of carbs would be a .8u bolus. A
snack of 15 would be .2 units.

 I'm wondering how much insulin the original poster is using. With a 1:15 ratio,
doesn't sound like he's got insulin resistance problems. Unless he needs major
basal coverage or eats 2,000g of carbs a day I'm not sure where all of the
insulin is going.

--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987