RE: [IP] now t1 vs t2

I was six months out from having a baby so I had been losing weight. When I
had a sudden, larger drop, along with all the obvious symptoms, I was
diagnosed with type 1. I was 5'8" and about 160 pounds, still a bit
overweight.

My husband, a type 2, was diagnosed by me. He was 6' and 175 pounds with
absolutely no symptoms. I simply tested him when we were dating because
everyone always wanted to be tested. When his number was out of range, I
tested him again after fasting. When it was still high, I sent him to his
doctor for labs.

His doctor said there was no reason for labs but David insisted. Got the
call a couple days later with diagnosis. His four siblings all got tested.
The next in age was also diagnosed, the next was considered borderline, and
the two youngest are watching what they eat and improving their lifestyles.

I've heard that 60% of type 2s are diagnosed when they are hospitalized with
a complication like a heart attack.

I wish that standard physicals included a glucose check. Maybe they do now
in light of how many type 2s aren't diagnosed in time to keep them
complication free.

Valerie
http://www.valerieadamsglass.com