RE: [IP] medical office lack of knowledge

> When people notice my pump, I make it very clear that I've had the disease
> since age 4 (36 yrs), simply to dispel their bias against me. > .

I'll be 69 shortly and visited my endo the other day. His regular nurse was
off and the sub was taking my vitals, etc. She asked what my insulin doses
were. I said I use a pump. It IS written in my chart! She said, "Well, what
are your doses; 6:00 a.m.?" I haven't eaten at 6:00 a.m. in eons. I started
pulling up my TDDs to tell her those #s. She said, "OH! You have a pump!"
Besides, I had just showed her my book's dust jacket on doc's bulletin board
and said my pic is on the left (Miss America's pic is on the right since she
wrote the foreword). I guess the nurse was just surprised this old lady had
a pump.

Quite often they see us as naturally a T-2 not realizing we could have been
dx'd as a kid and grew up (questionable as that is!). Maybe assuming all
childhood DMers die before age 30 confirms we don't grow old. YMMV :-D

Oh, in our DM support group near the hospital, it is comprised of almost all
T-2s and all sr. citizens. There may be 2 out of the 18-20 members who are
significantly over weight. I know some people who are morbidly obese who do
not have DM - it must not run in their genes. Diarrhea does, though. lol

Jan & Muskers- T-1  http://maxpages.com/bludasue  -
http://maxpages.com/TSLandCLIP  - http://www.picturetrail.com/dmBASHpics
(evolution of pumps)