RE: [IP] medical office lack of knowledge

Joy Insurance companies do separate treatment according to Type of Diabetes.

>From my insurance company contract:

Coverage is limited to the continuous subcutaneous insulin delivery (CSII)
in diabetics who meet the criteria listed below. Rental of the pump is
covered for three months before the purchase of the pump is approved.

1. The pump must be ordered with concurrence of an endocrinologist.
2. A diagnosis of diabetes mellitus ( ICD-9 codes 250.01, 250.03)(These two
codes are for 	Type 1 Diabetes) requiring insulin for proper treatment.
3. Documentation of a history of completing a comprehensive diabetic
education program and 	compliance with multiple insulin injections where 3
to 4 injections per day fail to 	provide normoglycemic levels.
4. Member has demonstrated ability to self-monitor blood glucose levels >/
4x/day

So you see Type does matter.

John S Wilkinson
Rome, NY