Hi RoseLea!

[Felix:]
 > The question that should be asked is,
 > "For how long, and accepting what
 > amount of damage?"

[RoseLea:]
 > My endo tells me I'd last for 48 hours.
 > Then I'd die and not a nice death.

I believe your endo is an optimist. Untreated, both DKA and NKHOC
tend to rather dismal complications like brain oedema and the
resultant massive brain damage, followed by death when the
brainstem gets really fed up. Oh, and insulin also mediates the
balance between sodium and potassium in the extracellular fluid --
more insulin drives potassium into the cells. And the K+/Na+
balance is, of course, part of what makes nerve cells work --
including those regulating the heartbeat. And so on ....

All I can say is, if I ever get to the brain oedema stage before
they find me and begin treatment, I hope they will have found my
living will and let me die.

Cheers (or, rather, cheerless),
Felix.