From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of Joy L Wright
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2008 12:57 AM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: RE: [IP] now t1 vs t2

Please support Insulin Pumpers by making a donation to the SPRING pledge
drive. Your contribution is essential to help us continue to provide service
to the diabetes community. Please visit:

<<<< Type  1 is caused by an
autoimmune reaction.   Type 2 is caused by insulin resistance (I think,
actually, we don't know much about the cause of Type 2).  While many Type
2s may, over time, lose the ability to produce insulin, this does not make
them Type 1s as their diabetes was not caused by an autoimmune reaction.>>>>

I can see both sides, but as a t2, feel a little as though t1 peeps almost
don't want to be downgraded to t2. Now, I'm not "starting anything" please
don't take it that way. As I said I can see both sides, and wonder how
differently I would feel if I were a t1.....the grass is always greener yada
yada. I think I've been labeled t2 because I was never diagnosed until
adulthood, and not even young adulthood. And in fact, I was the one who
diagnosed myself and then had to prove it to my dr lol sheesh yup she was a
real winner. Regardless, once that diagnosis was confirmed, I started
looking back many many years and going oooooohhhh yyyeeeaaaahhhhhh and some
of those realizations were back to my young childhood and my childhood
lifestyle, as well as some things just not seeming rational. As a type 2,
many times well-meaning people, even politely, want to point out that I
"caused" my disease. Well sorry folks but it just ain't so. Now there are
probably people out there who just plain overate, whatever the reason and
wound up diabetics. This isn't to call them bad.......there but for fortune.
I discussed this specific question with my new endo the other day. His
opinion was 1)who cares what type you are, you are and now we need to
control it....and 2) in my particular case I WAS type 2, but he felt it was
a biochemical thing, as in, either I never produced enough insulin or was
always insulin sensitive for some reason...which gradually gets worse and
worse until poof beta cells gone doing nothing done like dinner. It's funny
how sometimes when you don't actually research the facts, your idea of what
is and the truth can be SOOO far apart. Well I've never been really a
dieter, but I've eaten reasonably all my life, have always been very active,
and was always ashamed of my weight. But my lifestyle, including diet and
exercise, were never really conducive to being overweight or diabetic. The
simple fact is, I've wasted a lifetime being ashamed because my pancreas
doesn't work right. Am I type 1? Who knows. I don't.....and frankly at this
point it doesn't matter, as the endo says, if the shoe fits.....you'll know
what size to buy.
When I was diagnosed, figured out how to "fix" things, I immediately
obtained excellent control and had it for a good long while. I ate more than
I ever had, and lost weight dramatically, so fast the dr said quit
dieting......and I wasn't. Well, now I'm just starting to do that
again.......only now I understand so much more, and now it won't be a
problem again.
One final point: in t1, say someone is diagnosed at age 7 or perhaps 11 or
even 23. Who's to say they weren't young t2s? Do you always know for sure
there is an autoimmune problem? I mean, there's no proof on me, must be
millions more like me in the world? And with the so-called stigma of
t2,....you get my point?.....joy .