RE: [IP] now t1 vs t2

I seldom chime in but this email compelled me to tell you that you are not
alone, Joy.

My type 2 diabetes is caused by Empty Sella Syndrome and too many years on
Growth Hormone (hypopituitarism).  Did I cause my own type 2 diabetes due to
lifestyle?...ummmm, no.  But, I look like a typical type 2 body style
because of the lack of a pituitary gland so people assume I'm diabetic
because I'm fat and lazy.  I've even had doctor's who don't understand Empty
Sella who can't see past my weight.

Because of severe gastritis that has been triggered by my gallbladder
removal 2 1/2 years ago, I can't take oral meds anymore.  So, my choice is
either to continue medication that my body can't process and develop more
stomach polyps or take insulin.  My endo and I chose insulin and in order
for me to get a pump my doctor is now calling me a type 1 since that's the
only way insurance will pay for a pump.

Now, I need insulin just like a type 1 does but I get a lot of remarks about
being a type 2 on a pump.  Why should that matter and why should my doctor
have to lie in order to provide me the same treatment as someone whose
disease is "more serious"?

I get tired of defending myself sometimes and usually just say I'm "insulin
dependent" and leave it at that when all these "types" start getting
discussed.  All that matters is that my body needs insulin and that should
be the end of the discussion.

Like Joy, I'm just trying to let people see that there are other reasons for
type 2 diabetes besides lifestyle choices!