  From: Joy L Wright<mailto:email @ redacted>
  To: email @ redacted<mailto:email @ redacted>
  Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2008 1:56 AM
  Subject: RE: [IP] now t1 vs t2

  Please support Insulin Pumpers by making a donation to the
  Please visit:

      http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml<http://www.insulin-pumpers.
org/donate.shtml>

  <<<< Type  1 is caused by an
  autoimmune reaction.   Type 2 is caused by insulin resistance (I think,
  actually, we don't know much about the cause of Type 2).  While many Type
  2s may, over time, lose the ability to produce insulin, this does not make
  them Type 1s as their diabetes was not caused by an autoimmune
reaction.>>>>

  I can see both sides, but as a t2, feel a little as though t1 peeps almost
  don't want to be downgraded to t2. Now, I'm not "starting anything" please
  don't take it that way. As I said I can see both sides, and wonder how
  differently I would feel if I were a t1.....the grass is always greener
yada
  yada. I think I've been labeled t2 because I was never diagnosed until
  adulthood, and not even young adulthood. And in fact, I was the one who
  diagnosed myself and then had to prove it to my dr lol sheesh yup she was a
  real winner. Regardless, once that diagnosis was confirmed, I started
  looking back many many years and going oooooohhhh yyyeeeaaaahhhhhh and some
  of those realizations were back to my young childhood and my childhood
  lifestyle, as well as some things just not seeming rational.
  As a type 2, many times well-meaning people, even politely, want to point
  out that I "caused" my disease. Well sorry folks but it just ain't so. Now
  there are probably people out there who just plain overate, whatever the
  reason and wound up diabetics. This isn't to call them bad.......there but
  for fortune.
  I discussed this specific question with my new endo the other day. His
  opinion was 1)who cares what type you are, you are and now we need to
  control it....and 2) in my particular case I WAS type 2, but he felt it was
  a biochemical thing, as in, either I never produced enough insulin or was
  always insulin sensitive for some reason...which gradually gets worse and
  worse until poof beta cells gone doing nothing done like dinner.
  It's funny how sometimes when you don't actually research the facts, your
  idea of what is and the truth can be SOOO far apart. Well I've never been
  really a dieter, but I've eaten reasonably all my life, have always been
  very active, and was always ashamed of my weight. But my lifestyle,
  including diet and exercise, were never really conducive to being
overweight
  or diabetic. The simple fact is, I've wasted a lifetime being ashamed
  because my pancreas doesn't work right. Am I type 1? Who knows. I
  don't.....and frankly at this point it doesn't matter, as the endo says, if
  the shoe fits.....you'll know what size to buy.
  When I was diagnosed, figured out how to "fix" things, I immediately
  obtained excellent control and had it for a good long while. I ate more
than
  I ever had, and lost weight dramatically, so fast the dr said quit
  dieting......and I wasn't. Well, now I'm just starting to do that
  again.......only now I understand so much more, and now it won't be a
  problem again.
  One final point: in t1, say someone is diagnosed at age 7 or perhaps 11 or
  even 23. Who's to say they weren't young t2s? Do you always know for sure
  there is an autoimmune problem? I mean, there's no proof on me, must be
  millions more like me in the world? And with the so-called stigma of
  t2,....you get my point?.....joy