>Most all test strips are about a buck a test. Only one I've seen
>cheaper is for the Prodigy VOICE (A talking meter, theirs are like $17
>at the online pharmacies I was looking at.

 The Voice meter is a little on the higher side (~$80), but there's another
model, Prodigy Talking meter, which you can pick up for $30, no minimum strip
purchase, and as pointed out the strips are affordable as already pointed out.
You can turn off the voice announcement, and otherwise does all the things a
meter does, including extensive memory and uploads data. You might even be able
to find a cheaper deal someplace too.

http://www.hearmore.com/store/prodView.asp?idproduct=6371&idstore=4&idCategory=172&category=Diabetic_Products&product=Prodigy_Talking_Blood_Glucose_Monitoring_System-COMPLETE_STARTER_KIT

Jamie