[IP] Dupuytren

Cynthia VanDenBerge" <email @ redacted>
on Tue, 6 May 2008 21:16:20 wrote about
"One more disease: thanks diabetes"
She wrote:
"Well, went in today to schedule surgery for my 3rd (or maybe 4th)
trigger
finger and lo and behold, my doctor told me that I have Dupuytren's
disease!  Well, I had never heard of this one.  Apparently it is a
condition
that causes thickening and a kind of "ropey" series of nerve bundles
on the
palm and can eventually cause your hands to permanently clench
together and
not completely straighten out.  Wow, i had not head of that one and am
feeling pretty devastated as I am a guitarist and have this vision of
limited time to be able to play my instrument.  I looked it up on trusty
WebMD and it says that diabetes can be a cause.  It also says that I
may not
have any major issues with it. So far it is not causing any trouble
but the
hand doctor told me that my surgery may aggravate it to become more
intense.  Have any of you heard of this disease?  Ronald Regan had
it.  I
guess in his old age you could tell when he waved as his hand remained
somewhat clenched.  Kind of a bummer.  cynthia"

Don't Panic Cynthia. dupuytren's can be surgically fixed fairly
successfully.
At the first sign of difficulty get it fixed.  That will give you the
best chance of
keeping the full use of all you fingers.  I waited too long and have
95% use
of two fingers and 100% use of 4.  The other fingers did not get
Dupuytren's.
In addition to being somewhat related to diabetes it is also a disease
of
people with Viking ancestors.  Good luck and keep on playing the guitar.

Floyd Shipman