RE: [IP] One more disease: thanks diabetes

I have had this condition progressing slowly for *many* years in both my
hands. It does seem to be taking a long time--which is good--because it IS a
bummer! Sometimes my doctors have called it something like "prayer
hands"--they check to see how my hands are doing by having me put my palms
and fingers together. Then you can look to see if you can see through the
fingers. It used to be only my pinky fingers bowed out but now all my
fingers do--I can see all the way through them when they are touching each
other.

And if I look at my palms and my mom's (she's had D for abt. 29 yrs.)--I can
see where the tendons are thickening into "ropes." I am right-handed and my
right hand "ropes" are more pronounced than on my left hand. Whenever I've
had a trigger finger, the rheumatologist I go to has shown me how even
though it is my finger that is affected, it is affected along that finger's
tendon on the palm--which is surprising upon first finding that out. He
usually gives me a shot (kind of like cortisone, but is not exactly
cortisone) which usually helps clear it up. I do have one finger that is
quite painful if I bend it to the palm near the middle knuckle and I'm not
sure what to do for that one.

Andrea
Dx 11/74--33 1/2 years of D;
pumping for 20 years.