Re: [IP] FDA study: Insulin pumps linked to injuries, deaths in teens

 Interesting article, however, I think it unfairly focuses on the tool instead
of where the real problem lies. I suppose the headline could have just as easily
been written as "Diabetes linked to injuries, deaths in teens". Many of the
issues this article identifies are common issues that our young people face -
whether they have diabetes or not. Yes, these kids already have serious
challenges in their life, but that does not preclude them from dealing with all
the other issues that teens face, which complicates matters.

 How many teens not on pumps are at risk due to 'cheating' and not taking
insulin for it, not telling their parents, and ending up in a coma due to DKA,
and their parents didn't even have a clue. This isn't different from the
pre-pump days when there was only injections available. It isn't because parents
don't care, but often because they just didn't know. Yes, they should know, but
if you consider, for example, how many teens have hidden pregnancy from their
parents for months - how easy would it be to pretend like everything is okay
when they are around their parents.

 It is a parents responsibility, when they have a kid with this disease, to make
sure they understand that there are real consequences of their disease, that
they are not invincible - that they have to grow up and hit what's pitched. As
most of us well know as well, pumps can be locked to keep kids from messing
around with their doses, but that won't stop kids from still doing irresponsible
things such as eating way too much, too often, of the wrong things, among other
things that they shouldn't do.

 And certainly, depression is a common among those who have diabetes, and
suicide is a risk. But how is that different from any other teen who chooses
pills from their parents' medicine cabinet, or a teen that chooses an overdose
of insulin. It is not the pump that's the risk. It is the parents'
responsibility to ensure, to the best of their ability, that these issues are
dealt with as soon as they become aware. They need to keep their eyes open for
the signs, knowing that sometimes, you just don't know.

 I think that this article, although may be true in many respects, does not give
a balanced perspective of the complexities of raising teens, the difficulties
that teens have as they grow up, of being human, and dealing with this disease.

Jamie