Re: [IP] Diabetes Breakthrough?

--- On Fri, 5/2/08, RoseLea <email @ redacted> wrote:

> I listened to the rep
> along with a
> newly diagnosed Type 2 gentleman.  Now, he was a big, burly
> guy and
> he showed the rep his fingers and complained about how his
> fingers
> were so sore now that he had to test ONCE EACH DAY.

 The majority of diabetics I see when I go for my CDE appointments are,
naturally, Type 2. Before seeing a doctor/nurse/CDE whatever, everyone is
weighed, BP is checked, temp is checked and BG is checked. At my last
appointment my BG was 98, and the tech who did the test wanted to give me
glucose tablets. She said she had never seen a number that low.

 There was a very large, young woman in the next chair. She spent the whole time
admiring her shoes and her freshly manicured fingernails. They did her BG check
which was in the high 200s, and asked if she tested her BG at home. She was
making all sorts of excuses why she didn't test much and the whole time she had
her hand held out in front of her, checking out her nails.

 To me, it seemed like she wasn't testing because she didn't want to mess up her
lovely fingers. I felt like telling her that if she didn't take care of herself,
she wouldn't be able to admire her fancy new high heels anymore because her feet
would be amputated, but of course I didn't.

 I know that the Type 2s on this list are an exception. They test, they do what
they have to in order to take care of themselves. They're on pumps because they
want better control. Unfortunately, the majority are not like that. To most,
testing is a pain and only shows them how bad they're doing. Doing bad, why? Not
taking medication, not caring about diet or exercise, who knows. Most definitely
not testing.

 My sister's father-in-law will not test or take his Lantus (a recent addition)
unless his wife or son does it for him.

--
Liz
Type 1 dx 4/1987