Re: [IP] Diabetes Breakthrough?

At 09:12 AM 5/2/2008, lisa miller wrote:
>  I totally agree with you on sticking fingers, I'm thankful to have
> a meter. I
>remember when there were no meters and my mother using a glass
>reusable syringe
>to give me my insulin.
>   The needle/syringe had to be put in boiling water after each use
> to sterilize
>it and you replaced it when the needle became really dull or you
>could afford to
>replace it (in my parents case).
>   The needles were about $200 a piece(according to my mother).
>   One other thing, if you have a micro-chip implanted in your body,
> you can not
>ever have an MRI done. The chip has metal in it, I know this because
>I was told
>by my veterinarian, my Service Dog could never have an MRI if
>needed, due to her
>micro-chip.
>                            Lisa

I remember no meters and I also remember boiling a syringe and needle
to take injections.  Disposable syringes were new when I went to
college and I quickly switched over then.  However, even they were
not the micro-thin needles that we have now.  They too, were a pretty
good size needle, smaller than the ones you boiled, but still larger
than what is available now.

Interestingly, I think the ones doing all the finger-stick whining
are the older newly diagnosed Type 2s.  I went to a diabetes fair
once.  The Lifescan rep was there doing demonstrations of the new (at
that time) Ultra meter.  You needed to buy a box of 100 strips and
then they gave you a free meter.  I listened to the rep along with a
newly diagnosed Type 2 gentleman.  Now, he was a big, burly guy and
he showed the rep his fingers and complained about how his fingers
were so sore now that he had to test ONCE EACH DAY.  The rep looked
at me and asked how frequently I tested.  I told him approximately 10
times a day.  He immediately handed me a free meter (without buying
strips).  I looked at the Type 2 guy said, "sheesh" and left.

RoseLea