From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of Antonio
Sent: Monday, May 29, 2006 10:36 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] Syringe Exchange

Well, Audrey, you were on the right track, but your logic is a bit
flawed.  Stealing candy doesn't transmit AIDS.  Sharing needles does.
Needle exchange is a program that's called "harm reduction".  I think
this is wayyyyy too off topic for this list, but I would advise your
sister to stop complaining about something she apparently does not
understand.  Use of medications that the body develops a need for is
called "dependence".  An uncontrolled use outside of normal medical
purposes is called addiction (loosely).  There's a big difference.
HUGE!  And yes, we should legalize all drugs, that way we wouldn't have
a drug problem any more.  The people who use judiciously would be able
to sustain themselves on whatever their drug of choice was, and the
people that couldn't control themselves would just burn out (die).

Antonio in LA
Age 40, Type 1 since 1993
MiniMed Paradigm 515, OneTouch Ultra
MiniMed Carelink and PAL software

Audrey Karperien wrote:
 > I quite agree - I am an IP addict. On the subject of addictions, my
sister in
 > law laments that drug addicts in her city are given free syringes, as
a means
 > prevent worse things from happening. The logic in that sort of
strategy is
goofy
 > (e.g., lets give our kids lots of candy so they don't steal it; since
we
can't
> stop theft and murder, let's legalize them so we can at least control
them).
 > But, anyway, my sister in law laments her city's syringe giving
policy
because
> her husband and daughter are type 1 diabetics, therefore she figures
they are
 > insulin addicts, so should get free syringes, but the city does not
agree
with