[IP] question..

<<<I have type 1 diabetes and I have a two year old child and want at least
one more child, but it seems quite a few moms and dads with diabetes also
have children with diabetes? I was told it
wasn't very likely to pass it on to our kids, but what are the chances, and
does anyone else worry about it, or is it just me? I am trying not to be
paranoid, but I don't want my kids to deal with this if they don't have
to!>>>

I've been told that a male has a 1 in 17 chance (~6%) to pass Type 1
diabetes on to his offspring and a woman has a 1 in 25 chance (~4%) to pass
it on if she has the baby before she is 25 years old and a 1 in 100 chance
(~1%) to pass it on if she is over 25 years old.  Circumstancial evidence
that I've seen does seem like males have a higher risk of passing it on.

However, like any disease that has some sort of genetic link, if you have
the disease, your children will be at higher risk because you know that you
carry those genes.  It's just that diabetes isn't fully understood and it
seems that it takes both a genetic predisposition and possibly an outside
(environmental, etc) factor to trigger it, so it's hard to say.  I do know
that because I have diabetes and my boyfriend's family has lots of diabetes
in it, we probably have a higher than average chance of having a diabetic
child, even among other diabetics.  I haven't decided yet if this will stop
me from having children.  I suspect it won't, but I'm not ready to have
children yet in life so it will be a few more years before I need to make
that decision.

Sarah, dx'92, pumping'00