[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V9 #871

Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 13:19:43 -0400
From: Tanya Cook <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] question..

 I read somewhere that mothers may pass on immunity to their children, and then
it shows
 up with the grandchildren. but I do not think it was a well-founded study.
however,
 there was a study which concluded that if the father is diabetic, there is a
greater
 chance that the children will be. I have three daughters, ages 35, 40, and 43.
none has
 type 1. however, my youngest has arthritis, another autoimmune disease. and she
did have
 gestational diabetes in one of her three pregnancies. I have eight
grandchildren, from
 nine to five weeks. they are all enrolled in the diabetes trial net study
(except for
 the two youngest). on the first test, no grandchild showed antibodies related
to type 1
 diabetes. I do think every child benefits from having a sibling...but I
understand how
you feel...good luck.