Re: [IP] question..

At 01:19 PM 5/29/2006, Tanya Cook wrote:
>Hello everyone, I have a question about the chance of passing on
>diabetes to my kids? I have type 1 diabetes and I have a two year
>old child and want at least one more child, but it seems quite a few
>moms and dads with diabetes also have children with diabetes? I was
>told it wasn't very likely to pass it on to our kids, but what are
>the chances, and does anyone else worry about it, or is it just me?
>I am trying not to be paranoid, but I don't want my kids to deal
>with this if they don't have to!

I have had Type 1 for 43 years.  My daughter is now almost 28 and, at
this time, shows no signs of diabetes.  I have a sister who was
diagnosed when she was four years old (I was 11.)  I have three
brothers and two sisters.  Only other diabetes in my whole extended
family is later onset Type 2, no other Type 1s.

RoseLea