RE: [IP] good A1Cs without frequent lows possible? (Brain damage)

As a scientist, my first reaction was horror at the disintegration of
clarity of writing over the 20 years between the two papers!  But
that said, I suspect damage from hypoglycemia that does not actually
result in loss of consciousness is rather like "mini-strokes"--most
of the time the patient is not aware of any change.  I spotted
one--not at the time, but because of a peculiar loss of a particular
function--I quit responding properly to the first character of a
string about 10 years ago.  I can compensate for it, but if I'm not
careful I'll do things like read 120,000 as 20,000, or try to
alphabetize words on the second letter.  Mentioned it to my cousin's
wife, who's a brain expert, and she nodded and said it was an effect
of specific cell death in a region of the brain involved in
processing the left visual field.   Of course it might have been from
hypoglycemia rather than a mini-stroke.
--
Sue Ann Bowling, North Pole, Alaska