Re: [IP] good A1Cs without frequent lows possible?

>On shots, of my bg was under 200 at all, it was possible it
>would drop to 40 in no time. It does seem to be better on the pump, but I am
>still afraid to let my bs hover too close to normal. I welcome any
>encouragement from you and other pumpers on this. Thanks!
>Sharon

I feel where you've been.  On shots, my lowest A1c ever was 7.9, and
8.5 was more common.  I was afraid to go to bed below 200, because of
overnight lows, and as I recall I calibrated basals with a target of
140  and instructions to abort any test when I went below 100.  As I
closed in on the "correct" basals (they're still changing, after 2
1/2 years) my targets gradually lowered (I now have 100 during the
day and 120 at night) my A1c's started getting lower (last was 6, but
I think that was a freak low--6.5 is more normal), and my lows
started getting much  LESS frequent.  But it took time to get
there--the first two months I was fighting set problems as well as my
"sensitivity" (PC speak for brittle.)  Right now my A1c's seem pretty
reliably below 7, but with my variability I wouldn't make a serious
effort to get below 6.5.
One other thing--the first thing my doctor said when he saw my blood
sugar records was "lose the lows."  Only after I had adjusted my
dosage to avoid fingerstick measurements below 100 could I even start
to calibrate the pump properly.  Even an occasional low would make me
very brittle for the next 24 hours, at least.  Trouble is I've gotten
very insensitive to lows, especially at night, so I'm never sure if
unexpected highs are due to too much or too little insulin.  I'm
hoping the 522 upgrade and sensors will at least help with that.
--
Sue Ann Bowling, North Pole, Alaska