RE: [IP] S. 1955 - today...

 As I read it, they're spending just under 4 hours debating, alternating in 1/2
hour segments for
each party.

 I'm not sure what the specific quorum rule is here, but I would infer that what
they're doing is not
 require that they stop and take attendence, but just assume there's enough
people present to
continue or cut off debate. (Cloture is the rule for limiting debate).

 In other words, I think the've just agreed to proceed like this, whether
there's anybody listening
 or not. They do things like this just to get their statements into the
Congressional Record -- it's
 not like one side listens to anything the other side has to say on the floor
anyway. "Debate" on the
 floors of Congress have been entirely for show since the days I used to read
the Congressional
Record back when I was a teenager.

 I'm sure some votes are occasionally swayed by arguments made in debate, but I
think it's a pretty
 rare occurrence. More votes are swayed by the discussions in the hallways, and
they frequently have
 to do quorum calls & hold everything up to get enough people into the room to
have a vote.

In other words, the debates are to sway voters, not the Senators.

 Interested Senators can then attach additional "speeches" to the Congressional
Record "as read",
 which is why the Congressional Record would arrive in my mailbox usually around
1 inch thick,
sometimes more.