[IP] cholesterol question

Someone wrote:
<I just got these tests done myself and my doctor explained what he was
looking for and what 'normal' people should get:

LDL below 130
HDL above 60

My numbers were:
LDL 80
HDL 73 (I think)

He basically said that it was phenomenal and that most people have LDL levels
of over 130. From what I can see and read online, higher HDL levels are a good
thing and are definately driving your numbers upwards.>

My LDL is on the low side (which is good) and my HDL is on the high side
(which is good) but then there is always a couple other cholesterol numbers on
the lab tests - I can't remember for sure - but there is a number that is the
"total" cholesterol  (using both HDL and  LDL) and then there is always some
kind of "ratio" - somewhere between 1 and 5 if I remember right.  Everytime I
get the labs done the "ratio" number is always out of the "norm" reading but
my LDL and HLD separate are great.  My endo explains this in that he does not
care at all of the ratio is not in the norm - because when you break down the
individual LDL and HDL - it is having the extra high HDL which is causing the
skewed ratio - so since he knows that cause of the ratio being out of the norm
- and that cause is from having an extra high HDL - there is no problem in
it.

Trish