Re: [IP] Cholesterol Question???

Kate,
Your lipid profile looks fine. Many people would like theirs to be like
that. I can see your concern looking at the total and LDL cholesterol. The
HDL is important. The higher the better. There are actually about 4
subfractions of HDL with one of them being the protective type, another
being somewhat protective and the other two not protective at all. A lot of
physicians never pay attention to this and unless someone has huge risks for
heart disease it rarely gets tested. There are only two labs in the U.S.
that do that kind of testing anyway.

Generally, though, a high HDL (Highly Desirable Lips) is... well, desirable.
The higher the better. The lowest docs like to see it is 45. You are about
twice that, which is excellent. LDL is within normal. The important thing is
the ratio between the two. Your ratio is quite good.

Your triglycerides are good and are effected by the carbs you ingest. Simple
carbs and processed carbs raising triglycerides the most.

Your overall cholesterol is creeping up to where docs don't like it (>200),
but remember what is driving that number up isn't any of the harmful parts
that go into that number but the very high (and very good) HDL.

This was a very long way of saying that you're fine. Total cholesterol tells
you very little so if anybody looks at that only and becomes concerned,
disregard them. If you want to tinker for even better control you could
lower your saturated fat intake and replace it with monounsaturated fat.
Lowering you total fat intake may actually make things worse since it will
lower both HDL and LDL.

It the order of saturated fats that are worse for you to less worse they
are: trans fat, dairy fat, beef fat, chicken fat.

If you consume much dairy fat that's the place to cut down. If you like the
mouth feel and taste of fat and don't like to give it up you can experiment
with getting skim milk and other non-fat dairy products and adding canola
oil. It's the least painful change you can make and you probably won't
notice much difference. It should keep or even raise the HDL but lower your
LDL if you are reducing your dairy fat consumption.

Hope that's not too much information for a simple question requiring a
yes/no answer.  Good luck.

Brian Wilson, RD, L/DN