Re: [IP] High elevations

I spent a week in Prescott, AZ last May, which has an elevation of
5000 plus feet, and I did have higher BGs than normal.  It took me
several days to figure out what was going on and I had to keep
raising my basal rates, to the point that I had to increase my
maximum basal setting on my pump.  Of course, it's another one of
those YMMV things, because some people have mentioned having the
opposite or no reaction.

On a different note, I read yesterday that when you're visiting Santa
Fe, NM, which is over 7000 feet, one alcoholic drink is equivalent to
3 at sea level.  So I'm thinking that whatever mechanism causes that
effect is perhaps the same thing that causes whacky BGs?  Does anyone
here know why this occurs?  Does this only apply to people living at
sea level who aren't acclimated to a higher elevation?  What about
people living there who are used to it?

Shawna Nansel
T1 3/02, Pumping 8/02