Re: [IP] I Could Have Written A Book

In a message dated 05/31/2003 6:11:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> On Fri, 30 May 2003 00:27:03 -0700, Charles Soderstrom wrote:
> >   The only time that came close to having serious problems was when
> I was
> >on only one shot of NPH each day.
> >A lot of diabetics died early from because they developed diabetes
> after  NPH
> >came out in the late 1930's and they were put on the one shot per day.
> Actually, NPH did not come out until 1946, when it was introduced in
> Europe by Nordisk. Nordisk did not introduce NPH in the USA until 1950.
> How about Eli Lilly?
>  [I have been working on a history of insulin for Michael, so it can be
> posted on the IP web site.] Beyond a routine form letter acknowledging
> my request for historical information, I have not been able to get any
> useful info from Lilly. Zero. I tried identifying myself as a recipient
> of the 50-year medal and going thru the office that handles 50-year
> awards by Lilly, but got no response. All the investigation work for
> 50-year medals is actually done by Joslin, and Lilly just rubber stamps
> it. [Charles, I hope you have been in touch with Joslin so you will
> receive your 50-year medals in October.]
> I don't remember personally knowing about NPH until the mid-to-late
> 1950s. My "one shot a day" insulin was Globin insulin, made by
> Burroughs-Wellcome.
> And speaking of "I Could Have Written A Book", I still have lots of
> copies of the 25-page booklet "Recollections of Diabetes for 60 Years" I
> wrote last year. It's not on line, but I will mail a copy to anyone who
> wants one. I think I have access to some web space that came with my
> upgrade to internet cable service, so I will check into it.
> Tom Beatson
> dx 12/1942, 506 1995, 508 2000

Tom I am similar to you I was a little before you with the NPH. I am not sure
of the exact year, but my guess is 1952 or 53. I still recall my Dad with a
 button saying I like IKE. I would guess 52 or 53 . Now lets see if anyone other
than Jan knows about IKE! I recall my Mom rolling the square bottle of NPH
with the regular. It caused a click you would never forget. That meant I was
getting a shot with that 26 GA needle.  Roger C