Re: [IP] I Could Have Written A Book

On Fri, 30 May 2003 00:27:03 -0700, Charles Soderstrom wrote:
 >      The only time that came close to having serious problems was when
I was
 > on only one shot of NPH each day.
 > A lot of diabetics died early from because they developed diabetes
after  NPH
 > came out in the late 1930's and they were put on the one shot per day.

Actually, NPH did not come out until 1946, when it was introduced in
Europe by Nordisk. Nordisk did not introduce NPH in the USA until 1950.
How about Eli Lilly?

  [I have been working on a history of insulin for Michael, so it can be
posted on the IP web site.] Beyond a routine form letter acknowledging
my request for historical information, I have not been able to get any
useful info from Lilly. Zero. I tried identifying myself as a recipient
of the 50-year medal and going thru the office that handles 50-year
awards by Lilly, but got no response. All the investigation work for
50-year medals is actually done by Joslin, and Lilly just rubber stamps
it. [Charles, I hope you have been in touch with Joslin so you will
receive your 50-year medals in October.]

I don't remember personally knowing about NPH until the mid-to-late
1950s. My "one shot a day" insulin was Globin insulin, made by

And speaking of "I Could Have Written A Book", I still have lots of
copies of the 25-page booklet "Recollections of Diabetes for 60 Years" I
wrote last year. It's not on line, but I will mail a copy to anyone who
wants one. I think I have access to some web space that came with my
upgrade to internet cable service, so I will check into it.

Tom Beatson
dx 12/1942, 506 1995, 508 2000