Re: [IP] Re: Large meals and delayed digestion

Shawna, I've read  this explanation of Bernstein's before, and I
agree that it sounds reasonable.  Unfortunately he's just made up a
lot of the physiology to suit his imagination.  He imagines mythical
horomones that cause the pancreas to release glucagon.  In addition
to there being this undefined mythical hormone, glucagon release
tends to work pretty quickly, but we know this "stuffed" effect on BG
often lasts many hours.  Type 1s also have been reported to have
impaired glucaogon responses.  Now maybe if Bernstein actually did an
experiment eating sawdust and measuring his BG over the next few
hours, I'd believe him more :-)

<<<<<<<<<<<The following is from Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution, page 88:
"The explanation lies in what I call the Chinese Restaurant Effect.  Often
Chinese meals contain large amounts of protein or slow-acting,
low-carbohydrate foods such as bean sprouts, bok choy, mushrooms, bamboo
shoots, and water chestnuts, that can make you feel full.
The upper part of the small intestine contains cells that release hormones
into the bloodstream when they are stretched, as after a large meal.  These
hormones signal the pancreas to produce some insulin to prevent the blood
sugar rise that might otherwise follow the digestion of a large meal.  Since
a very small amount of insulin released by the pancreas can cause a large
drop in blood sugar, the pancreas simultaneously produces the less potent
hormone glucagon to offset the potential excess effect of the insulin.  If
you're diabetic and deficient in producing insulin, you might not release
insulin, but you will still release glucagon, which will cause
gluconeogenesis and glycogenolysis and thereby raise your blood sugar.
Thus, if you eat enough to feel stuffed, your blood sugar can go up even if
you eat something undigestible, such as sawdust.  The lesson here is:  Don't
stuff yourself."
People may disagree with Dr. Bernstein, but it sounds like a reasonable
explanation.  It doesn't sound like it's delayed digestion, but the effect
of stimulating glucagon production.  As we all know, once that gets started
it's hard to turn it off, much the way a high morning reading seems to
affect your numbers for the rest of the day.