Re: [IP] How does exercise use glucose w/o insulin?

Your question is a good one Marianne, and I'm not sure there is a
simple explanation.  What I think is happening is that your liver and
muscle cells reset their sensitivity to insulin after exercise.  Sort
of like the opposite of becoming type 2.  That is you become more
insulin-sensitive, instead of insulin-resistant.   Normally your
cells need a certain concentration of insulin in the blood to
transport glucose.  After exercise, and often long after, the cells
just need less insulin concentration to transport the same amount of

<<<<<<<< I realize that exercise lowers BG partially because it
increases circulation
causing insulin to be absorbed faster, this effect should, however, be far
shorter in duration than the reduced insulin requirements caused by exercise.
  I also understand that during exercise the body uses up its glycogen stores
leaving it more susceptable to lows - but this does not explain everything. How
can the glucose released by the breakdown of the glycogen stores be metabolized
with less insulin than it should be? This can't be a very important reason for
decreased insulin requirements (although it could certaintly cause
lows) because
I have observed that even if I get high after exercising, allowing my glycogen
stores to be replenished, I require less insulin for several days.
- -Marianne (dx. 7/93 at age 7, pumping 6/4/02)>>>>>>>>>>