Re: [IP] Large meals and delayed digestion

> I don't think insulin has any effect in digesting the food - if you
>eat and
>take no insulin the food still gets digested your sugar just rockets.
>Summer (dx'd 1986 at age 4)
>Pumping Nov.12/02 - Blue Paradigm

That's only partially true.  Insulin aids in digestion on a secondary
basis.  Basically, as your digests food faster/slower partially based
on it's needs.  If you body is in need of food/energy, it will speed up
digestion.  If the body doesn't, digestion is slowed.

When you give insulin, it helps the body to "feed" itself.  If you give
too much insulin, your BG will go low, and the body will want to "feed"
itself more, in a sense.  (I know, I'm explaining this very non-
technical.)  Anyhow, most of us have probably experienced this when you
have an extreme low...your body kicks digestion into high gear, and you
feel ravishingly hungry.

When your body has "had enough"...meaning, it has all of the energy it
needs and you are not going low (i.e., not too much insulin), your body
will slow down the digestion process.  Since insulin is one of the key
hormones in converting food into energy (for carbs, anyhow), it does
play a factor into the digestion process.

Perhaps someone else can explain this is better terms.  :-)  I know I'm
failing miserably here.

P.S.  This particular scenario is quite different than what I see with
pizza and the like.  While I still believe glucagon is a large part of
the pizza effect, in this particular case, it is quite different.  In
the case of pizza, I do NOT feel full for 12 hours...and my rises in BG
are usually 5-6 hours, not 12 hours, after eating pizza.  I have
accounted quite well for this pizza effect by using a dual-wave bolus.

In this case, it seems that the food digestion has slowed because I
remained completely full the entire rest of the day and barely ate
anything after that point until the next morning.  When I eat pizza, it
is a normal sized meal, and I am satisfied, not stuffed.  :-)