Re: [IP] Large meals and delayed digestion

 I observe the same effect, that is, I take insulin for a large meal then 2-4
hours later I must take more to cover the 200-400 BS. I really don't understand
but the effect is reproducable.

Well Ryan, you are not the first to notice this. But the why is still
not answered.
You've almost got it, but your logic just doesn't add up. If you
really bolused for all the carbs he ate, or at least approximated
pretty well, why need extra insulin? Slowing down the digestion
doesn't work. You should have gone low if the carbs were just
sitting in your gut. It's true that eating a lot, even of sugar will
eventually saturate breakdown of carbs and absorption from the gut
will be slowed a lot. But then one should need MUCH less insulin up
front. It's also my experience that I need about what i figure up
front, but then need extra insulin later on. There's also some
anecdotes that you get the same effect from just eating vegetables
with very little carbs. This led Dr. Bernstein to conclude that a
full stomach caused glucagon release (and i know how much you love
glucagon!), but this is unlikely because it would have to continue
for hours.
Keep trying---If you can figure this out, you'll make a lot of us happy

>I experienced a rather interesting problem this past Memorial Day, so I
>thought I would just mention it here.
>Every year on Memorial's Day there is an extended family gathering
>where everyone brings their favorite dishes and desserts. Great
>food...problem is that getting the carbs right is a shot in the dark.
>So, what I did was keep estimating every time I put something in my
>mouth, bolus for it, and then check later to correct if necessary.
>This worked fairly well throughout the day. That evening, back at
>home, I was still VERY stuffed, so it was like my body wasn't digesting
>everything I had eaten yet. My BG levels were a tad high, but not too
>bad. By bedtime, however, it was up to 270. So, I corrected for it
>and went to bed. By 3:00 am my BG was over 400. I knew the problem
>was not my site. I corrected for this, and a few hours later it was
>back down to 170.
>The only thing I can figure is that due to the unusual amount of food I
>was eating, it delayed further digestion of the food so that while my
>boluses were covering the food that was being digested...not until
>later, when my body continued digestion, did the additional carbs hit
>my system.
>Interesting to note for the future!

Do you Yahoo!?