[IP] Large meals and delayed digestion

I experienced a rather interesting problem this past Memorial Day, so I
thought I would just mention it here.

Every year on Memorial's Day there is an extended family gathering
where everyone brings their favorite dishes and desserts.  Great
food...problem is that getting the carbs right is a shot in the dark.

So, what I did was keep estimating every time I put something in my
mouth, bolus for it, and then check later to correct if necessary.
This worked fairly well throughout the day.  That evening, back at
home, I was still VERY stuffed, so it was like my body wasn't digesting
everything I had eaten yet.  My BG levels were a tad high, but not too
bad.  By bedtime, however, it was up to 270.  So, I corrected for it
and went to bed.  By 3:00 am my BG was over 400.  I knew the problem
was not my site.  I corrected for this, and a few hours later it was
back down to 170.

The only thing I can figure is that due to the unusual amount of food I
was eating, it delayed further digestion of the food so that while my
boluses were covering the food that was being digested...not until
later, when my body continued digestion, did the additional carbs hit
my system.

Interesting to note for the future!