[IP] Death of the Tracker inevitable???

The Freestyle Tracker is a great concept.  The biggest issue I've had
was that it was based on the Handspring Visor platform.  This brought
two issues...first, the Handspring Visor was very unreliable compared
to it's competition, and second, people who wanted the integration with
a PDA were forced into the Handspring even if they already had another

Well, now there is a new blow...Handspring has discontinued selling any
more PalmOS PDAs, including the Visor.  This means that the Freestyle
Tracker is now without any hardware to work with except what is
available in limited quantities of remaining units.  This, to me,
spells inevitable death of the Freestyle Tracker unless Therasense is
planning to re-release the Tracker for other PDA platforms such as the
Sony Clies or the Palm devices.

Of course, with the advent of the One Touch UltraSmart and the BD Logic
meters, the Freestyle meter is really the only competitive meter it
has, and it is already now behind the times.  This will certainly not
be good for Therasense.

I try to keep up to date with what is going on in the PDA world of
meters and diabetes software for PDAs since I author Logbook DM.  But,
to me, the lack of a PDA-based meter once again will hurt the chances
that other companies will try to develop one.  When I contacted
Lifescan about this possibility last year, they were tight-lipped about
what they were planning...only to find out that their solution was to
be the UltraSmart...which isn't much of a choice for PDA users.

I guess these medical-device makers (Lifescan, Therasense, etc.) have a
ways to go in business-sense.  PDAs will continue to be more and more
prolific=since they are "the way of the future" in the world of
computers.  Within the next few years, I see PDAs replacing many of the
traditional electronic devices as an all-in-one unit, serving as PDA,
phone, laptop, MP3 player, etc.  So, if any of the meter companies are
listening...now is the best time to try to enter this market...just
don't make the same mistakes Therasense did and limit yourself to a
single platform.

(The views expressed in this e-mail are those of the author, and do not
necessarily reflect the views of this mailing list, medical companies,
endrocronologists, or the world.  ;-)