[IP] too much testing?

In a message dated 5/23/03 6:11:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:
> Why would  a
> dr. discourage a diabetic from testing his/her
> BG at any time? Especially 2 hours after
> meals? Any opinions?

if the diabetic is anal/retentive or obsessive/compulsive at all, and tests a
LOT that is FINE in my opinion, the problem is when you get a diabetic who
tests often and CORRECTS too often.  I can see why a doctor might discourage a
person like that from testing so often....AND for "many" diabetics, 2 hours is
NOT enough time to meet the peak of humalog or novalog, and certainly not long
enough for diabetics using regular Regular insulin or Velosulin.....These
insulins are STILL working 3, 4 and 5 hours after taken, whether it is with a
meal, or as a correction bolus.  To take MORE insulin while there is STILL
 insulin yet to peak, will put "most" diabetics on a fast track to a low, which
him or her up for the roller coaster....When your blood sugar drops quickly,
your body fights back by dumping in counter regulatory hormones to RAISE the
 blood sugar....so you check in 2 hours and you still aren't perfect so you take
MORE insulin, so the body dumps in MORE counter regulatory hormones.  Your
body can ONLY handle about a 40-50 point drop per hour without calling in the
sugar RAISERS....

My "opinion" would be to ASK the doctor why he would suggest such a thing and
if he is honest and says he thinks you might correct too much and he fears he
may see you in the emergency room after you pass out from a low and crash
your car into a light post, then I'd say, send me his number - i like honest
 doctors!!! If he says, "you don't need to test your blood sugar if you are
what i tell you to eat, and taking the insulin i tell you to eat and working
out the way I tell you to," then you can tell him to get with the program and
go find a new doctor....bottom line, find out WHY he feels to the need to say
this and deal with it with facts, and not just OUR opinions