[IP] Re: dawn phenomenom....not!!!

> I was wondering if any other
> kids have a rise at this ungodly hour????

For a while Zachary did the midnight spikes.    Unfortunately,
about the time we got the basals slowly raised up to a number
that could handle those spikes he instantly stopped having
them!     Naturally, we then spent an amazed week force
feeding him hour after hour while he'd crash from too high
basals.       Then he switched to the dawn phenomenom.   But
he's not always consistent on this either.

What we've ended up doing is two things:
1.   Keep his just before pre-dawn basals at the higher number
on through the dawn.   (Can't start those too early since he
seizes from too rapid drops in blood sugars while sleeping.)
2.   On weekends, when he sleeps in till 10 or 11AM,   I make
sure I wake up at shortly after his normal school time alarm
to make sure he did the dawn phenomenom thing.    If he did
then the higher basals are okay while he sleeps on.   If not,
I put them on a 20-30% temp reduction for 2-3 hrs so he
doesn't crash and seize on those mornings.

Kids and their growth hormones are such fun.     And these
BOY hormones are something else!!!!!!!    (Can you tell he's
my first boy ---- surrounded by girls.)

Barbara A. Petzoldt - Pump Mama to Zachary (newly 13,  Dx 2/93, 508 2/02,
Paradigm  8/16/02,  and now ANIMAS IR1000  3/18/03 ) --------and MaMa to
Jennifer (20), Allison (17), Rachel (newly 7)
Fenton, MO