[IP] Re: continuous BG monitoring

> Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 20:28:40 EDT
> From: email @ redacted
> Subject: [IP] Continuous Glucose Monitor ?
> Hi. I've got a question for those of you who have used the three day
>  continuous glucose monitoring device, made by minimed I believe (the name
> escapes me
> right now). I'm scheduled to get "hooked up" tomorrow and am wondering about
> how others have used it.

    I used it about 3 years ago and found it to be of limited value. The
Endo looked at the print outs and said my values were all over the place.
That ended the analysis. There were no patterns. He said that what the CGM
was showing (everywhere) that the BGs were varying much more than patient
logs were indicating.
    Within the last year I read the summary of a study on one of the Med...
web sites that found MM's CG monitor to be fairly inaccurate in spite of the
calibrations. As I faintly recall it was most inaccurate in the lower BG
levels. Maybe they have corrected that by now. Still, it can have a value in
detecting daily trends (especially at night) but based on my 3 year old
experience  I cannot see it for continuous use.            Peter