[IP] Advice needed for pregnant friend

A friend of mine at work was diagnosed as a Type One about six months ago,
and just found out about 2 weeks ago that she's pregnant. She's currently
taking Lantis (sp?) once a day and Humalog with every meal, and so far has
had pretty good control.

This friend is very interested in switching to an insulin pump, but her new
doctor (at her clinic they transfer all pregnant diabetics to the same endo)
refused to consider a pump for her until after she gives birth. Her
reasoning is that her BGs are controlled pretty well now, and there's no
need to change something and add another variable to the mix.

>From talking with her this morning, it sounds like her BGs are getting a bit
tougher to control. Not outrageous, but she mentioned that yesterday she was
at 175 two hours after a meal, did her standard correction (1 unit drops her
about 75 points), and then was at 50 a short time later.

I'm sure there are some pumpers out here that went on the pump when they
were pregnant, or were on it before, during, and after the pregnancy. I know
I've heard of women that have been forced onto a pump when they found out
they were pregnant, in an effort for better control.

If there's anyone out there who's willing/interested in emailing with this
friend of mine about some of these issues, please let me know, or reply to
the list to answer the broader questions of whether or not a pump should be
considered for her now. She's in her 7th week of pregnancy.

Thanks --

Matt Braun