[IP] Re: Frustrated

Dear Anna:
>I'm on day 13 of this new pump and still haven't had
>successful basal rate test!  I keep going high and/or
>low.  I'm very frustrated and wonder if I'm the only
>one who has had this kind of trouble...
First of all, let me introduce myself.....  My name is
Melissa Collins.  People around here call me
mcinsulinpumper, or MC....  I've been apart of IP for
4 years now (give or take a month or so) and have been
pumping over 3 years.  I use the Disetronic
H-TRONplus, and love pumping!  Ask anyone around here
who knows me, and they'll tell you I'm a BIG pro-pump
advocate.....  :-)
I can understand being frustrated; I think we all get
frustrated from time to time.  I guess that's life,
eh?  Please remember that it can take awhile to get
those rates set.  I've heard varying times quoted
about this - for some people, it only takes a month.
Others have told me that it took them 3 months.  My
CDE once quoted to me that it could take up to 6
months for some people!  (When she said this, I KNOW
she was referring to me.  *Whimpers*)  So, when you
think about it, 13 days isn't really that long when
you compare that amount of time to 6 months.  With
your dedication, though, I'm betting the time for you
to get your rates set won't be too long and you'll see
how great pumping really is, especially compared to
shots!  :-)
I realize that it may be difficult for you to do the
"wait and see" method when you've been taught that
high blood sugars are bad, and they need to be lowered
as quickly as possible to avoid
complications.  Surprisingly, while it IS bad to have
high glucose levels, it's acutally a good thing for
you right now.  Why?  Well (obvious answer coming
here), you now know that your basal rate for that hour
needs to be increased (or even decreased) and you
can easily correct it.
Interestingly, while the "wait and see" method may be
the most frustrating for you, it might also be the
fastest way to get those basals set.  Why?  Well,
here's one scenario: say you test at 11pm and you're
high.  So, you decide to correct this by giving
insulin.  What have you solved?  Short-term, you've
corrected the high; Long-term you haven't changed the
insulin amount you're given.  If it IS the rate that's
causing that high, it'll probably keep happening
until the appropriate basal rate changes.  This can
lead to higher glycos (to say nothing for frustration
levels!), and, worse of all, you don't know if the
rate for later hours (say 12am, 2am, 5am, etc.) are
set correctly.  Now, let's say you tell you CDE all of
this and she corrects the appropriate rate for 11pm.
Next she'll ask you to do 12am, then 1am, etc. AFTER
she makes sure that the rate for 11pm (and later 12am,
and so on) is correct.  (This could be quickly or
could take awhile, YMMV.)  Again, if you correct the
high for 12am you can't possibly tell if the basal for
1am or 2am truely is caused by the basal rate you've
programmed into your pump or if it is from
insulin/exercise/etc.  So, you'd have to start this
process all over again, beginning with the next hour
that you need to check.  Now do you see why I've said
that the "wait and see" method may be quicker?  And,
worse yet, if you don't do the "wait and see" method,
more days will be needed to test your basals and THAT
can seriously hamper your sleep-time.  :-(
Here's an idea: why don't you do hourly basal checks
from 7pm until 7am?  (Grrrrrr...  Let me say that I
HATED, HATED, HATED to do this!)  So, lets say you try
to go to bed at 11pm....  You test, and find you are
high.  Check it again at 12am, 1am, etc. all the way
until a time you set for yourself.  (For me, I would
go from 11pm to 4am in one "set" - regardless if the
rates were correct or not - and then for the next
"set" I would go from  3am until 8am.)  Do that for
three days.  (This way you can tell if the high/low is
actually your basal rate or if it is caused by
somthing else, like exercise or because you gave
yourself too much insulin for food.)  If you are
consistantly high/low at any given time, talk to your
CDE about it - based off of that info your rate(s) may
need to be changed, and you can (at the same time
without having to get up any extra days) see if other
time periods (like 3 or 5am) need to be corrected or
not.  Chances are, at least one or two other rates may
need to be changed in there, but the only way to find
out is to do those basal checks.
And, one last piece of advice: please remember that
the pump itself won't make your numbers always be
perfect.  It is only a TOOL that can help you gain
better control - give it a chance by making sure you
are TELLING it give you the right amount of insulin.
(This is where everyone wishes pumps could do all that
for us so we can get extra sleep!)
Well, I hope that I've given some (sound) advice you
can use that wasn't too confusing.  Hopefully you'll
get those basals set soon and you can then turn to the
lighter side of pumping!  And, as always, you can turn
to IP for support and venting purposes.  Believe me,
IP can really help out when you need it most.  :-)
Good luck and happy pumping!
Pump hugs,

Melissa Collins

Do you Yahoo!?