regarding aspartame and it's negative effects have found to be just
plain false, and perhaps even lies, as is the case of a very famous e-
mail letter that was circulating the internet several years ago.

In fact, some very recent research has proven that there are no
negative long-term affects of aspartame use.  The only REAL study I've
seen that had any evidence of problems was one that showed that heavy
aspartame use increased short-term memory loss.  While I believe to
have experienced this myself, it was not a huge problem...and, more
recent research indicates that it might not be the case at all...but
that by merely suggesting it causes short-term memory loss tricks the
brain into "noticing" all of the times we forget something, and then
place the blame on aspartame.  (Although, in my case, I went off of
aspartame for a while and noticed a marked improvement in my short-term
memory...but, alas, I went back to aspartame use again...where did I
put those keys again?)

Anyhow, any information against aspartame is old and outdated.  Also,
Stevia is available as a sweetner, though typically you can only find
it in health-food stores.  With all of the options today, there is
little to worry about:  Saccharin, aspartame, acesulfame-potassium,
sucralose, etc.

One thing that IS true is that switching to diet drinks in place of
regular won't help you to lose weight alone.  Diet drinks, since they
provide NO nutritive value at all, do not "satiate" at all, so you will
continue to have cravings.  WHile regular drinks have added
calories/sugar, they will typically make one feel fuller and more
satisfied due to those carbs, and so they are less likely to eat/snack
on other foods, etc.  But, it really isn't because there is anything
about artificial sweetners that cause cravings...just due to the nature
that the artificial sweetners don't provide any nutrients to satiate
the cravings.