[IP] Re: MIT Sloan students .. -- now Type 2 diabetes

Jan, I agree with everything you said.  And this is my concern.  The Type 2s
that I know are people I care about, but not extremely close to me (eg my
 cousin across the country, the father of my best friend from teenage days,
I don't think they are getting the best of care, but people don't always like
to hear things from other people and tend to believe only what nurses or
doctors tell them.

For example, my cousin.  Saw her last summer and she had just been dx'ed Type
2.   She has been morbidly obese for over 30 years.  The doctor had her try a
few months of "diet" to see if that would control the bgs.  Well she showed
me her log book (she was testing at least 3 times a day) and her numbers were
jumping all over the place.  It was pretty obvious to me that "diet" wasn't
going to help things in her case.  There we were with Claire as a Type 1 for a
 big birthday celebration and Claire could eat all the cheese cake she wanted
just bolus for it.  My cousin is now on oral meds, but I don't know how well
they are working.  I had told her last summer that if insulin was suggested,
 not to balk at the idea, as it could make things easier. I'm no expert on Type
2, but I just hate to see people not have the best treatment.  While we were
living in Ireland a friend came to me in a panic because her father-in-law
found he needed his foot amputated.  The family, who were quite devastated,
 thought maybe a second opinion outside of the NHS might improve the prognosis.
asked if he had been testing his bgs.  They didn't think so, but it turned out
he had a meter, just never used it.  Strips are free in the UK.....Its so very

Barbara, Mum of Claire 9