[IP] traveling by train

My husband and I took a train to Chicago way before 9/11 and there was
no searching of luggage or any carryon luggage (which on a train all
luggage is carryon and you just put it up above where you are
sitting).  They only checked our tickets and put a piece of paper above
where we were sitting with our final destination.  You were allowed to
get off the train at each stop and most people who did get off were

We just took the train back to Chicago this past summer and it was the
same drill, no inspection, nothing.  Doesn't make me feel as safe as
getting on an airplane, but then again the cost of taking a train over
flying is more than 1/2!!