Re: [IP] frustrated

Hi, Anna,
I understand your frustration with the basal rate tests.  A couple of things
might help with what's going on.

1)  You might be like me and have diabetes that hasn't read the book about how
blood sugar is supposed to act.  For example, I go low when I'm sick, and my
blood sugars go up for a couple of hours after exercising.  I'm told that
 different people's livers release glucagon differently in response to exercise,
and it's not something that is even the same in the same person from day to
 day. It is true, though, that if I restrain myself from 'correcting' the high,
I don't crash about 4 hours out, which is what happens if I do correct the way
the books and training tell you to.

2)  The other thing is that the purpose of the basal rate test is to see what
your body does at that basal rate, and then make adjustments.  As long as you
aren't spilling ketones, it is unlikely that going to bed with a 200 that
appears to be going up is going to cause you any great dammage on a one-time
basis.  Personally, I would set the clock to test every couple of hours, and
call off the test and correct if I started spilling ketones, just to help the
CDE help you determine what basal rate needs to be tweaked.  And the tests in
the night will help determine if you go down again naturally at your current
rates, or if the overnight settings need to be tweaked.  If I corrected for
 the 'high' trend, then I'd most likely crash in the middle of the night, so not
only would I not have any data but would have to deal with a middle-of-the-
night low (not fun).

As always, YMMV.  Believe that you will get this figured out for your
 individual body, and the whole process gets easier and better as time goes on.
Hang in there :)

Kathy T.