[IP] Man receives kidney via internet donor

I find this story very hard to swallow, and well as unaccepting of
it.  I have been in dialysis since July 1999 and it is not that easy
to get a kidney.  I have been on the waiting list for 3 years and know
that the phone call could come any day, but until then I must endure
my dialysis treatments and rely on them to keep me alive.  No one
spends 10-12 hours on a dialysis machine a day (unless they are doing
nocturnal hemo which is still only 3 treatments per week, or
peritoneal dialysis with a cycler, which would be every day).  And
they DO NOT let you leave the hospital the next day, whether you are
the donor or the receiptant.

I find this story to be bogus and false.  Is there a website that can
back this up or anything else?  Then again, we all know that you
cannot believe everything you read on the Internet or hear otherwise.

WALHALLA, N.D. (AP) - A man has been released from a Fargo hospital
receiving a kidney from a donor he met online.
Ted Dunnigan, 68, of Walhalla, met donor Sheryl ``Chris'' Wymenga, 40,
Welland, Ontario, through the Web site www.livingdonorsonline.org.
The surgery was performed Friday at Fargo's MeritCare Hospital.
Wymenga was
discharged the next day. Dunnigan was released Monday.
``Use (of the Internet) has been increasing for everything we do,''
said Dr.
Bhargav Mistry, the transplant surgeon. ``As people hear more about
story, I'm sure more people will at least inquire.''
Dunnigan was diagnosed with diabetes 30 years ago, and his kidneys
weaker over the past seven years. He has been on dialysis since 2000.
Dunnigan could not find a donor through conventional means, so his
Dori Dunnigan of Grand Forks, searched the Internet and found Wymenga
one day after posting an inquiry on the Web site.
Wymenga and Dunnigan met for the first time on May 13, in Fargo.
Dunnigan said he feels the best he has in five years. He plans to
Wymenga next summer.
``Not being tied to a machine for 10, 12 hours a day is going to make
a big
difference,'' Dunnigan said.