[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V7 #297

Thank you Barbara B., Probably the best explanation of what alcohol can do.
But I still don't understand why there is a sudden and massive drop in bg
when you drink too much alcohol. the glycemic index or theory as I understand
it minimizes the effect on raising bg. If this is what I think you are
saying. I agree.

Nonetheless it is a raise if only a slight one in bg. But what explains the
sudden and massive drop in bg when you've had too much to drink? The glycemic
index minimizes a raise in bg but doesn't lower bg.  The phenomenon I'm
talking about can lower you bg from well over 250 to 50 in a very short
while. I am certain from experience that my basal rate and residual insulin
or bolus were not the catalysts or even factors of this extreme drop in bg
which I call it the alcohol phenomenon.

The catalyst for the massive and sudden drop is the alcohol. This is only
when you've had too much- beyond tipsy. Too much alcohol or 'poison' in your
blood stream looks for ways to reduce its strength. This is when the alcohol
phenomenon occurs. Have you ever noticed the sweetest wines have the most
alcohol. That's because alcohol and natural sugars .ie grapes.. seek balance.
 Perhaps the same thing occurs in your blood stream where the alcohol seeks
bg and reduces it seeking a balance to too much alcohol.

Even if you don't agree w/ my reasoning the phenomenon exists, and might
never be  explained. But there was a lot of skeptics about the dawn
phenomenon too. Even today its hard to explain medically and scientifically
why the dawn phenomenon happens. But when you have experienced the alcohol
phenomenon, like I have, you know it's real.