[IP] Man Receives Kidney Via Internet Donor

WALHALLA, N.D. (AP) - A man has been released from a Fargo hospital after
receiving a kidney from a donor he met online.
Ted Dunnigan, 68, of Walhalla, met donor Sheryl ``Chris'' Wymenga, 40, of
Welland, Ontario, through the Web site www.livingdonorsonline.org.
The surgery was performed Friday at Fargo's MeritCare Hospital. Wymenga was
discharged the next day. Dunnigan was released Monday.
``Use (of the Internet) has been increasing for everything we do,'' said Dr.
Bhargav Mistry, the transplant surgeon. ``As people hear more about this
story, I'm sure more people will at least inquire.''
Dunnigan was diagnosed with diabetes 30 years ago, and his kidneys grew
weaker over the past seven years. He has been on dialysis since 2000.
Dunnigan could not find a donor through conventional means, so his daughter,
Dori Dunnigan of Grand Forks, searched the Internet and found Wymenga just
one day after posting an inquiry on the Web site.
Wymenga and Dunnigan met for the first time on May 13, in Fargo.
Dunnigan said he feels the best he has in five years. He plans to visit
Wymenga next summer.
``Not being tied to a machine for 10, 12 hours a day is going to make a big
difference,'' Dunnigan said.

05/20/03 11:22