[IP] sleepovers and surgery

At times when low blood sugar is of concern, such as when a child is away from
parents and when one must fast for a medical procedure, I see no problem
deliberating raising the blood sugar.  With children, it's better to err on
the side of high to prevent the lows when you can't monitor closely.

With fasting events, the theory is great that your basal rate should sustain
you at a good, predictible BG.  Doesn't happen with me.  I go low, then have
to use glucagon (which should be used with food) or cancel the procedure.  So
I arrange to lower my basals to be about 200.  Then I know I'm safe.

Short term moderately high sugars won't hurt most of us.

Barbara Ziegler