re:[IP] Desperate need for advice

 <<<<<<<<From: Jacqueline Hall <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] Desperate need for advice

 I am going into surgery on Monday and since I've just moved, I don't
have an endo and don't know what to do regarding my basil rates. I can't
eat anything 24 hours before surgery and the surgery only lasts about an
hour. I've been trying to get hold of my old endo but he's not around at
the moment so I'm clueless and a little afraid, I don't want to go too
low since I can't eat anything but I also don't want to go to high. Any
advice please??
Jacqueline Hall

Hi Jacqueline,
I had a short surgery like this a couple of years ago and kept my pump
on.  My endo said that if my basals are set right there shouldn't be any
changes needed.  I was a little concerned about going low so we ended up
setting my pump on a 70% reduction for the time I was fasting until I
was back home.  This worked well for me.  They also told me that if I
was low I needed to have my dh bring me in so that they could give me
glucose IV so that I didn't mess up the time I was supposed to be
fasting before the surgery. The person in charge of you and your pump
and insulin and blood sugars
during the surgery is the anesthesiologist.   I'd make some effort over
the weekend to find out how they handle pump patients and get some
reassurances from that dr.  The hospital I went to has what they called
an external pump protocol that everyone is supposed to follow as they
are taking care of the diabetic person wearing one.

I hope everything goes well for you,

pumping since 08-00