Re: [IP] Sleepovers

Hi. I have no children, but I was one when I was diagnosed at the age of
10. And less than a year after my diagnosis I was away for a week with
my class at Yosemite. I'm sure my parents worried, but from the day I
was diagnosed, I was the person in charge of my therapy. I took the
test, logged the result, calculated my shots, and got annoyed with my
mother when she tried to just make salad for dinner (this was back in
the days of "Take x exchanges of bread and x exchanges of protien and
take x insulin". We hadn't even heard of carb counting). I don't even
remember ever letting my parents take my blood sugar reading or give me
a shot.
     So they sent me off for a week with a cooler full of snacks, plenty
of supplies, and a glucogon kit in case things went wacky.
     I'm not saying my childhood with diabetes was anything close to
normal. I especially don't understand the "They're going to have to give
themselves shots when they leave the house, i'll do it for now" line.
Heck - my CDE suggested i could take a "Diabetes Vacation" and let my
parents do my testing and give me my shots for a week, so i wouldn't
have to worry about it, but I just figured I would worry more about them
messing up.
     That independence I had back then in my control, means that now, at
23, I have no diabetes problems, and an A1C of 5.8 last time i checked.
I drink, I eat ice cream, i exercise, i diet, and thought it all I know
how to correct for most problems I have. Then again, I sent my
endocrinologist into fits when i was like 13 or 14 because I was
changing my R and my N at the same time, based on where I was going low
during the day and the profiles of the insulin.
     Your child is going to have to deal with being diabetic for their
whole life. Waiting for a cure will leave you sitting around for a long
time. They said it would be cured in 5 years when I was diagnosed, and
i'm certainly not cured. I'm taking good care of myself so that _if_
they find a cure I'm in good enough health to get it.
     As long as they know what they're doing, give them their freedom,
their syringes (or pump supplies), a can or two of coke in the backpack,
and send them off. Have them hand the glucogon kit to the supervisory
parent and tell the parent what to do in case of emergency. If you
happen to talk to the sleepover-giving parent the day or two before and
go over stuff with them that's great. As long as everybody knows where a
phone is and how to find the eleven button so they can dial 911.....
     Or you can completely disregard everything I said. They're your
child, and everybody's opinion varies. Sylvia's way sounds pretty good
too.  She's right when she says that it is important to allow them to
participate in events. Don't let your child to grow up thinking being
diabetic limits them in any way.

Scott Roberts
Dx 90, Pumping since '98