[IP] Re: acceptance

In a message dated 5/15/2003, email @ redacted writes:
>>I don't understand this thinking that acceptance is different if you have a
history of Type 1 or Type 2 (which is irrelevant).<<

My point wasn't that acceptance would be any different with a history
of diabetes in my family, but just that I would be more knowledgeable
about the disease.  I felt totally out of my league with no
experience or knowledge bank to draw on.  I spent the next several
months reading and learning everything I could about it.  My point
is:  if I hadn't had a child diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, I would
probably still know very little about it so I can understand why the
general public (who hasn't been touched personally by it) doesn't
know much or anything about it.  But please know that my acceptance
of Noah losing 10 lbs. in two weeks, peeing every 20 minutes, eating
and drinking twice the amount my husband and I did (and still losing
weight), being sick to his stomach, to finally reach the point of
hardly being able to stay awake when he was diagnosed with a bg of
799, to be told he has a disease that is life-long, that he will need
to do daily injections of insulin, and all the other constant
testing/monitoring would have been no less traumatic had we had
family histories of diabetes.  If anything, more so, because I would
KNOW what to expect.

Cindy, mom to 16 y/o Noah, dx age 9, pumping since 6/99